Techtronic Industries North America, Inc. Sr. Product Manager in Brookfield, Wisconsin
Under the direction of and reporting to the VP of Product Management, primary duties will be to plan, grow and manage both sales and profitability for the assigned product category. Through communication, team building, and coaching, develop and motivate direct reports and positively influence cross functional teams to meet challenging projects and business objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working as a team with direct reports, leads the strategy and product plan development for assigned product categories. Delegates elements of the strategy and product plan to direct reports and challenges them to present and defend findings and recommendations.
- Manage and prioritize new product development activities for assigned product categories to ensure fit with product strategy and overall company objectives. Develop a tactical schedule for the completion of key new product development efforts and works to secure the marketing resources necessary to complete these tasks on time. First line of documentation review for both new and ongoing projects to ensure acceptance and approval by senior management.
- Act as an expert in product knowledge, end-user applications, and the competitive marketplace for assigned product category(s). Actively seek opportunities to stay abreast of the marketplace by attending trade shows, seminars and other industry events. Frequently interact with distributors, field sales and end-users to seek opportunities for new products, packaging, merchandising and their successful placement within channels of distribution. Work to involve direct reports, sales, training and other cross functional groups in learning activities.
- Act as the internal and external focal point for the resolution of product issues within the category(s). Champion and lead various departmental improvement initiatives. Provide category reviews and updates to senior management.
- Lead the initial stages in the development of new products including primary and secondary market research, engineering & manufacturing analysis, purchasing and related financial aspects involved in successfully bringing new products to market. Actively monitor the new product development process in all phases to ensure customer input throughout. Represent the category at key management decision points within the process.
- Proactively manage the portfolio of products within the category(s). Implement and monitor strategies including product positioning, forecasting, cost reductions, product updates and/or obsolescence. Participate in the development of the overall METCO product strategy and corporate strategy. Proactively work with counterparts at other TTI divisions to leverage all corporate assets to maximize business impact.
- Develop launch program including product sell sheets, bulletins, product specific merchandising, web site copy, interactive training video and other sales support materials as needed. Collaborate with advertising and channel management to develop appropriate programs and promotions to achieve a successful new product launch and overall category growth. Provide sales training as appropriate to effectively convey new product features and benefits.
- Participate in key customer presentations, line reviews, editorial visits/interviews, trade shows and other industry events as needed to promote the category(s).
- Embrace marketing and new product development best practices and work to integrate them into the METCO new product development process. Encourage direct reports and project teams to set stretch goals and to look for creative solutions to projects.
- Actively work to streamline and improve processes and procedures. Has a thorough understanding of how the business works and mentors direct reports and other junior staff in moving projects forward and how to effectively lead cross functional teams.
- Initiate and develop market research plans. Review the process and methodology to ensure appropriateness of the research based on the project scope. Perform end user interviews, job site visits and field testing. Provide customer input throughout the new product development process. Analyze and interpret findings and report to senior management. Select external research suppliers as necessary.
- Participate and interact with various cross functional teams and departments to encourage a sense of urgency and fulfill objectives in a timely manner. Write and submit appropriate documentation to initiate new product efforts. Educates direct reports on how to successfully author and present business cases for new product opportunities.
Education and Experience Requirements
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree, Master's preferred, in Marketing, Business Administration or related area plus a minimum of 5-7 years experience in a product management role.
- Accomplished analytic, written, verbal and interpersonal skills plus demonstrated problem solving and decision making abilities required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled