Techtronic Industries North America, Inc. Sr. Project Engineer in Brookfield, Wisconsin
At Milwaukee Tool (Milwaukee), we strive for operational excellence to deliver best-in-class products that exceed the needs of our end users. We achieve this by cultivating a culture to hire, reward, mentor and grow 'Exceptional People.'
As an Engineer for Milwaukee your primary focus would be to contribute to the support of Milwaukee's Accessory products. In this role, you would report directly to the Leader of Value Engineering (VE). You will be utilizing your engineering skills and project management ability to execute design changes, derivative product releases and general maintenance of existing products. In addition, you will work directly with manufacturing cells to improve processes and reduce costs through machine improvements, capacity projects, and DFMA design changes.
Milwaukee Electric Tool offers benefits on your first day of work (health, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k) and an excellent working environment that includes an on-site cafeteria as well as a state-of-the-art fitness facility!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead/participate small to medium scale engineering projects for VE & derivative products. Provides engineering support on high complexity projects under the supervision of department manager.
- Participate in manufacturing process related feasibility studies.
- Research to aid in the development of manufacturing processes & machine design solutions to enhance our operations, manufacturing and new product development needs.
- Facilitate project flow involving regular contact with manufacturing and other cross-functional team members.
- Able to manage several simultaneous projects is required.
- Provide clear engineering information to project leaders and the global engineering team through PowerPoint and graphical tools. Data must be presented in a manner that facilitates effective decisions.
- Interact with suppliers to develop part/product specifications that meet performance requirements while falling within process capabilities.
- Work with senior engineers to gain the aptitude and experience working with operations, quality and suppliers to establish appropriate specifications and delivering conforming products.
- Evaluate product design relative to material selection, cost, reliability and manufacturability.
- Develop, write and analyze test requests with the Milwaukee Tool Test Laboratory.
- Work as a technical resource to troubleshoot problems with manufacturing teams and suppliers.
- Serve as a technical resource on areas of expertise and provide consultation/mentorship to others.
- Facilitate project flow involving regular contact with manufacturing and other cross functional staff members; must correctly follow all Milwaukee Tool procedures covering new product development and design output in addition to procedures of non-engineering departments related to project flow.
- Schedule, develop agendas, facilitate, and document project meetings.
- Track project schedule to ensure adherence to timelines; keep team informed on project issues.
- Make formal presentations regarding project status.
- Make component, material, or process recommendations.
- Occasionally, independently explore the use of new materials.
- Work cross-functionally and globally with Quality & Reliability, Engineering, Sourcing, Finance, Supply and Demand, Marketing, and other departments.
- Evaluate product designs relative to the selection, cost and resolution of problems associated with materials, heat treatment and finishes. Work cross functionally with engineering teams.
- Regularly visit the manufacturing cells/suppliers to maintain open lines of communication with the cell/suppliers and provide opportunity/troubleshooting analysis as required.
- Able to provide a basic overview of upcoming workload and identify potential resource bottlenecks.
Education, Experience, and Other Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineering Technology or related work experience.
- 5+ years of relevant working experience.
- To be successful in this role you will need to be a self-starter who has a strong problem-solving skill set and understands design, testing, and manufacturing processes (grinding, stamping, heat treatment, functional coatings, machining, etc).
- Ability to travel internationally & domestically as required (15%-30% travel).
- Ability to manage several simultaneous projects is required.
- Highly developed Mechanical/Electrical aptitude is required including a broad knowledge of engineering materials used in small appliances or power tools, and an understanding of the manufacturing processes associated with these materials.
- Computer skills needed include Unigraphics (NX8.5) or similar 3D CAD package. Experience with Teamcenter a plus.
- Possess a basic understanding in quality related analysis tools; MiniTab, Gage R&R, Capability Studies, Tolerance Stack-ups and deviation analysis.
- Basic understanding of various cost drivers associated with materials, labor & overhead is required. Continuously developing Mechanical aptitude is required including a broad knowledge of engineering materials, mechanical properties and an understanding of the manufacturing processes associated with these materials.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and a hands-on attitude.
- High interest in tools of the construction trades.
- Experience with ERP systems and Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) desired - Microsoft Dynamics AX and HighJump; a plus
- Working knowledge of Value Analysis principles and Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) methodology.
- PMP certification is a plus, but not required.
- An understanding of various cost drivers associated with materials, labor & overhead is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled